This blog is dedicated to those esoteric activities directly or indirectly related to miniature gaming, boardgaming and Euro-gaming.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Roman Triarius - Painting Finished

The 'Roman' has completed the next stage with completion of the painting.

I had struggled with the shield design for a time, and finally settled on making a cut-out template from an image of 28mm decal, and used this to spray paint the shape, which was then worked over with a brush for the detail.

For tutorial assistance in painting the face I went here.

The stencil I made

See below for some images ... the photos are a bit dark, but capture the details.

Let me know what you think!

(Next: decorating the base and mounting into a display case - when I source one!)

More Terrain Diversions - Buildings

Painted some building that have been in the cupboard for a while (a long while) ...

From memory (literally) these are from JR Miniatures in the U.S.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Large Scale Roman (WIP)

Just a quick post to show a special project which is in progress on the workbench. A long way from 15mm WW2 and Napoleonics!

He (a Roman Triarii) needs his spear, shield, sword and some base work ...

I'll post again when complete.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Wall Diversion

Just some terrain painting as a diversion from the recent mini painting.

Mostly used an airbrush, with a brush for touch ups, some dry brushing and a final black wash followed by some clean up with water and cue-tips.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Open Fire! Pak 40s - lazy Sunday afternoon

A cold and quiet afternoon here and so after looking at this video I was inspired to do the Pak 40s from the Open Fire! box I received for Father's Day.

For the first time I attempted a modulation technique, along with now more familiar techniques for pin washing, applying a filter, chipping and weathering using enamels.

Hope you like the results. Feel free to leave a comment.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

PSC M4A3 (W) Shermans - Finished!

I have completed the pack of 5 PSC Shermans.

I have tried to weather these more realistically than the Russian Tanks (here) I finished before - still they turned out a bit rougher than I had first intended. Take a look here to see how they looked prior to weathering and completion of details and tracks.

My only disappointment is with the dust effects I achieved with pigments was lost when I applied a coat of gloss varnish (for protection). I need a new method here - maybe I'll try a matt varnish after the dust and that will help keep the dusty look?

Here they are - hope you like them, Leave a comment!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Malifaux - personal painting challenge

Ok, so firstly, this post contains some painting subjects that are bit left field for me.

Let me explain by saying I wanted to get some figures that allowed me to practice painting flesh - for another project which is a bit more 'on topic'. You will immediately see why I chose these figures!

The other main reason I chose these is that the casting and molds are outstanding - the quality is simply unsurpassed for figures in my experience. These figures are roughly 28mm scale.

There is a third in the series awaiting further flesh painting practice!

I should credit ThePaintingClinic video here, for the technique used to paint the stockings.

The Malifaux game itself looks interesting - a very thematic Skirmish type game. These figures are 'Ronin' and part of a larger group which constitutes a player's posse. I won't be pursuing the game though as time does not allow - at least not at the moment!

Painting the PSC 15mm Shermans (WIP) ...

I bought a 5 pack of these models as my first 15mm WW2 purchase, with entering the world of FoW in mind.

This was after viewing this video on ThePaintingClinic YouTube channel which inspired me to attempt the painting and this then got me thinking about the gaming side too. It has been a long time since then and getting these models to this point, including deciding on IABSM in preference to FoW, and researching various techniques on AFVs and 15mm WW2.

This M4A3 (W) 76mm is ready for track painting and final weathering. The chipping is complete, and hopefully approrpriate enough and not a-historical or unrealistic.

Decals are Battlefront. Paints are Vallejo (Model Colour and Panzer Aces). Weathering will be AK Washes and Streaking Grimes.

Let me know if you want any info and what you think by leaving a comment!

Weathering experiments - pushing the limits on two 'old Russian dogs of war'.

I found these 1/100 T-35 and KV2 Zvezda models in my FLGS and couldn't resist.

Having been inspired (or perhaps possessed!) after reading the chipping and rust sections of Mig Jiminez' FAQ2, I wanted to try out some of these ideas in 15mm scale.

Yes so these are a bit over the top, but my 'story' behind these old and rusty behemoths is that they are survivors, grognards, aged soldiers - and they look their age!!

These models are literally a snap to put together, I spent less than 15 minutes each getting them built ready for undercoating. The only additions I made was scoring on the side skirts of the T-35.

I really enjoyed trying some new techniques here, and will refine them for the future - although I have another T-35 undercoated who will get similar treatment!

Let me know if you have any questions about techniques and products. Thanks to the FAQ2 book, HeresyBrush and ThePaintingClinic for ideas and inspiration.


Both together ...